Sunday, June 6, 2010

Introduction:

Birth of ATPA aka "Catalogue" of the lovely stuff  in our house


Today, June 6, 2010 is the start of a my new blog. I see so many pretty things around our house, things that I love looking at and appreciating every time I see them. Many of  our pieces have a long history and some are mysterious objects we have been acquiring at church bazars, garage sales and auctions in Toronto and nearabouts. For the last so many years I have stopped going to any of these sales because our house has now become too small to hold any more treasures. We have stuff behind glass cases all over our huge living room and many of the pretty things have found their way to our bedrooms, the den, the staircase, the corridors, the foyer, the bathrooms..... everywhere the eye wanders there are pretty things and pieces of history that I kinow of and probably more alluring history that I have no inkling about.

That's the beauty of antiques and lovely things that has passed through several ownerships. That's the beauty of pretty things around your house, things that were given as gifts from people you love or things you like around the house but for the love of everything holy, cannot remember the person(s) you got the gifts from in the first place. That's the beauty of pretty things around the house, that when you feel the need to feel melancholy, you can gaze at some of the items and recall the past. You just don't know who was handling them, admiring them, wondering about them. It's like a connection between you and fellow residents of planet earth, both living and dead. I love that connection I feel towards all those who handled these pretty things before I took possession of them.  Just imaging that there were people before me, people who gazed upon the same object I am gazing upon, and admired it as much as I am doing, makes me feel good.

So, my dear gentle readers of All Things Pretty Antique, I intend posting within this blog every now and then,  pics of some of the pretty things lying around our house and I will tell you how they came into our possession. Some of the stuff  we have is easily bought from $ shops, but you should have an eye for beauty and workmanship. Your not-so-humble scribe was blessed with these traits from birth.... if I may say so. hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment